Ms. Mitali Gupta
Assistant Professor (Economics)
Phone – 022 4235 5861
E-mail Id: Mitali.Gupta@nmims.edu
Academic and Professional Qualifications:
- Ph. D. (Economics) from Dept. of Economics, FSS, Banaras Hindu University (Degree Awarded) in 2017.
- MA in Economics from Banaras Hindu University in 2011.
- BA (Hons.) in Economics from Banaras Hindu University in 2009.
- Qualified National Eligibility Test in 2014.
Expertise in Statistical Techniques/Dataset Handling/Technical Skills (ICT):
- Microsoft Office
- STATA (Data Analysis and Statistical Software)
- Trade in Value Added (TIVA) (2016) database.
- National Sample Survey Organisation (Unit level data of Enterprise Surveys- 56th (2000-01) and 67th (2010-11) Rounds)
- Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (Unit level data of Fourth All India Census (2006-07), Registered and Unregistered Segments)
- Annual Survey of Industries (Annual Reports of last 10 years)
- Primary Surveys on Private Sector Enterprises (conducted in various districts of Uttar Pradesh)
- Primary Surveys on Urban Labour Markets in the Private Sector (conducted in NCR region, Pune, Coimbatore and Lucknow)
- Primary Survey on Handicraft Enterprises (conducted in Varanasi)
I have been working on various aspects of Informal Sector specifically on unorganized manufacturing sector, subcontracting practices and contract labour using unit level data from various Rounds of NSSO. The studies conducted so far incorporate various aspects of subcontracting arrangements and practices and the challenges of non-existence of dignified employment which the informal sector is facing today and has emerged as major area of concern across various institutions.
Ph. D. Topic: Unorganised Manufacturing in Post Reform India
Areas of Research Interest:
- My broad domains of study constitute Development Economics, Labour Economics and Cultural Economics.
- Specific areas of study constitute Informal Sector, Manufacturing Sector, Contract Systems of Production (Subcontracting) and Employment Issues, Global Production Networks and Value Chains and Tangible and Intangible Cultural Heritage.
Work Experience (Academic):
- Presently working as Faculty (Assistant Professor, Economics) in Kirit P. Mehta School of Law, SVKM’s Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Vile Parle (West), Mumbai, Maharashtra w.e.f. 13/07/2016.
- Ad-hoc Faculty for Under-Graduate courses for the academic session 2013-14 in Mahila Mahavidyalaya, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh.
Quantitative Techniques and Statistics, Indian Economy, Managerial Economics and Microeconomics
Teaching Pedagogy and Innovation:
- Circulation of original articles on various theories to acquaint the students with the original writings of the theorists.
- Thrust on diagrammatic illustrations of the theories to facilitate understanding.
- Compilation and circulation of various Articles and Reports on a given topic to keep upbreast of the current scenario and facilitate grasping of theoretical understanding from the practical situations.
- Discussion of Law related Problems and the use of Economics to solve these problems in Law Programs.
- Usage of Audio Video Tutorials encompassing the range of animation videos, documentaries to panel discussions on a particular topic and discussions thereafter.
- Videos on Excel Tutorials and hands-on experience in the class itself.
- Collection of Live Data from the class on various indicators and making students apply various types of Statistical Techniques over it.
- Have been instrumental in the Introduction of courses of Economics which cover various facets of the Law and Economics Branch of Study (also designed its Course Structure and Outlines) in the semester system to promote an integrated and holistic understanding of this domain of study in Law programs at NMIMS KPM SOL from 2017 onwards.
Total Teaching Experience: 2 years
- Worked as Senior Research Associate, Giri Institute of Development Studies, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh from 01/11/2015-30/06/2016.
Total Industry Experience: 8 months
Fellowships, Achievements, Awards and Honors:
- Participated in Inter-Hostel Decoration competition on the occasion of ‘Janmashtami’ and won First Prize in 2010.
- Represented Banaras Hindu University in Badminton in East Zonal Competition organized at Dibrugarh, Assam in 2009.
- Participated in Inter-Faculty Badminton Competition in Banaras Hindu University and won First prize in 2008.
- Participated in Badminton Competition (Singles and Doubles) at Athletic Association, Mahila Mahavidyalaya, Banaras Hindu University and won First prize in 2008.
Summits, Conferences and Seminars Attended:
- Presented a paper titled “Subcontracting: A Solution or a Failure for the Indian Manufacturing Industry”, at Third Indialics Conference on ‘Innovation and Sustainable Development’, jointly organized by Center for Development Studies Thiruvananthapuram and Research and Information Systems for Developing Countries (RIS), New Delhi during 16-18 March, 2016.
- Presented a paper titled “Informal Manufacturing Sector in Post-Reform India: A State-Level Analysis”, at International Seminar on ‘Changing Economic Parameters and Prospects of Growth in India and South Asia’, organized by Department of Economics, University of Lucknow, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh during 5-7 February, 2016.
- Presented a paper titled “Role of Subcontracting in Structuring Changes in Economic Activity in Rural Areas of India” at the International Conference on ‘Labour and Employment Issues in the Context of Emerging Rural-Urban Continuum’, organized by S. R. Sankaran Chair (Rural labour), National Institute of Rural Development and Panchayati Raj (NIRD&PR), Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh during 12-14 March, 2015.
- Presented a paper titled “Assessment of Subcontracting Practices in India-with Special Reference to NSSO 67th Round (2010-11)”, at National Seminar on ‘Results of NSS 67th and 68th Round Surveys’, organized by National Sample Survey Organisation, Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation held at Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh during 2-3 July, 2015.
- Presented a paper titled “Performance of Subcontracted vs Non-subcontracted Firms in Indian Unorganised Manufacturing Sector” at the 97th Annual Conference of Indian Economic Association held at Mohanlal Sukhadia University, Udaipur, Rajasthan during 27-29 Dec. 2014.
- Presented a paper titled “Role of Inter-Linkages between the Formal and Informal Sectors in Structuring the Transition of Labour Processes in the Indian Manufacturing Sector” at the 56th Annual Conference of the Indian Society of Labour Economics organized by BIT, Mesra, Ranchi and Institute for Human Development, Eastern Regional Center, Ranchi, Jharkhand during 18-20 December, 2014.
Chapters in Edited Volumes:
- Gupta, M. (2015). Role of Inter-Linkages between the Formal and Informal Sectors in Structuring the Transition of Labour Processes in the Indian Manufacturing Sector. In R. Anand & A. G. Matani (Eds.), Industrial Engineering and Management (51-66). New Delhi: International Research Publication House. ISBN-987-93-84443-52-8.
- Gupta, M. (2015). Women: A Face of Informality in India. In C. Roy & A. K. Chaudhuri (Eds.), Dynamics of Business, Economics & Entrepreneurship Development (pp. 211-224). New Delhi: Dominant Publishers & Distributors. ISBN- 978-93-84161-95-8.
- Gupta, M. (2014). Performance of Subcontracted vs Non-Subcontracted Firms in Indian Unorganised Manufacturing Sector. The Indian Economic Journal, Special Issue, pp 247-253.
Memberships (Academic and Professional only):
- Annual Member of Indian Society of Labour Economics for the years- 2012-2013; 2013-2014, 2017-2018.
- Annual Member of Indian Economic Association for the year- 2013-2014.
Workshops and Professional Training Programs Attended:
- Workshop on “Frontiers of Research in Indian Economy: Emerging Issues, Theoretical Approaches, Data and Methods” held during 19-23rd June, 2017, organized by Institute of Development Studies, Kolkata, West Bengal.
- Faculty Development Programme on “Effective Pedagogical Tools in Legal Education”, held during 11th-17th Febraury, 2017, organized by SVKM’s Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, School of Law, Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- Workshop on “Field Survey Techniques” during 27-28 February, 2015 at Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh.
- Hands-on-Training Programme on “Open Data Development and Transparency Initiatives” on 18 February, 2015, organized by The World Bank and Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh.
- Workshop on “Extraction and Analysis of Unit Level NSS Data” during 16-22 June, 2014 at Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh.
- “Author Workshop” jointly organized by Springer and Banaras Hindu University on 11 February, 2014 at Banaras Hindu University , Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh.
- Course on “Research Methods in Labour Economics” during November 18-29, 2013 at V. V. Giri National Labour Institute, Noida, Uttar Pradesh.
- Interaction Programme for Ph. D. Scholars during September 13-Octuber 3, 2013 at Govind Ballabh Pant Institute of Social Sciences, Jhusi, organized by UGC-Academic Staff College, Allahabad University, Uttar Pradesh.
- International Workshop on Women’s Dance and Self-Defence for Peace and Empowerment during August 5-22, 2013 at Center for Women’s Studies and Development, Faculty of Social Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi.
- Orientation Programme for Teachers and Research Scholars belonging to SC and other Marginalised Social Groups during August 05-08, 2013 at Giri institute of Development Studies, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh.
- Faculty Development Programme on “Multivariate Data Analysis for Management Research”, (MDAMR-2013) during June 14-20, 2013 at ABV-Indian Institute of Information Technology and Management, Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh.
Service to the Institution and Administrative Responsibilities:
- As Faculty Coordinator, Website Management Committee in SVKMs NMIMS, KPM School of Law, Mumbai from 2017 onwards.
- As Judge in The Annual Inter-Collegiate Debate Competition organized by SVKM’s NMIMS Sarla Anil Modi School of Economics, Mumbai on 22nd September, 2017.
- As Programme Coordinator in Faculty Development Programme on ‘Law and Policy of Taxation with reference to GST’ organized by School of Law, SVKM’s NMIMS, Mumbai during 4-5 November, 2016.
- As Student Coordinator in 54th Annual Conference of The Indian Society of Labour Economics organized by Dept. of Economics, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi during 20-22 December, 2012.
- As Student Coordinator in International Seminar on ‘Poverty and Deprivation in South Asia’ organized by Dept. of Economics, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi during 9-11 March, 2015.