Dr. Nazima Munshi
E-mail Id: Nazima.Munshi@nmims.edu
Academic and Professional Qualifications:
Shri Jagdishprasad Jhabarmal Tibrewala University. Rajasthan. 2017
- JPO/IPR Training Course for IP Trainers
Japan Patent Office.
Asia-Pacific Industrial Property Center (APIC)
Japan Institute of Invention and Innovation (JIII)
September 26 – October 17, 2007
- General Course on Intellectual Property,
Distance Learning DL - 101 WIPO Academy, Geneva, Switzerland. January 2004.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Patent Law & Practice.
Institute of Intellectual Property Studies, Mumbai 2003-04.
Dissertation: Infringement of patents: Analysis of Key Issues
- Bachelor of Laws L.L.B Jitendra Chauhan College of Law
University of Mumbai 2002.
- M. Phil in History on ‘Shipping and Maritime Trade 17th Century in Surat
University of Mumbai 1996.
- Awarded Heras Scholarship. Heras Institute of Indian History and Culture,
St. Xavier's College, Mumbai.
- Masters of Arts in History
University of Mumbai 1994.
- Bachelors in Arts
University of Mumbai 1992.
- Diploma in Secretarial Practices
Clare’s Institute Bombay, India.
Ph. D. Topic: A Historical Study about the Trademark Issues in India in Comparative Advertising and Product Disparagement: 2000 – 2013.
Areas of Research Interest:
• Intellectual Property Rights Law,
• Labour Law
• Human Rights
Research Projects (Grants undertaken):
- SNDT- Advising their Food & Technology Department for Patent filing. August 2008.
- NMIMS Mukesh Patel School of Technology, Management & Engineering. October 2013
- Sunandan Divatia School of Science in Patent filing provisional specification in the Indian Patent Office. February 2014
- Copyright filing for NMIMS Shobhaben Pratapbhai Patel School of Pharmacy & Technology Management (SPP SPTM). March 2014
- Copyright filing for NMIMS School of Design. January 2017
- Interactive program with UK IPR experts was organized on at Juhu Jagruti Hall. A researched booklet “IPR Primer for Consumers” compiled by IIPS and HUL was launched during the Seminar. 27th October, 2015
- Organized and celebrated the World IP day on in association with the Legasis at NMIMS IIPS. Saturday, 26th April, 2016
- IIPS Knowledge Partners with Inter International Trademark Association (INTA) for 2016 and 2017 for successive 2 years
- Presently working with NMIMS University 2006 till date
- Lecturer, L.S. Raheja College of Arts and Commerce for History in 1995
- Intellectual Property Rights Law,
- Labour Law
Teaching Pedagogy and Innovation:
- Interdisciplinary learning through project methods
- Creation of a trademark and filing
- Films to facilitate observations, interpretations
- Case Studies in Indian environment with contemporary examples.
Total Teaching Experience: 12 years
- Advocate, High Court of Bombay, worked as a junior, assisted in property matters. 2004
- Executive Secretary, United Nations Geneva Switzerland, European Union Public Relation (EUPR - NGO) permanent member in 1997- 1998 - 1999.
- Coordinator for Hague Appeal for Peace May 1999. Hague, Netherlands.
- Sales Promotion, Procter and Gamble, Bombay. 1993
Total Industry Experience: 5 years
Fellowships, Achievements, Awards and Honors:
- Permanent member for United Nations Office at Geneva for European Union Public Relation – 1997-1998-1999.
- Judge for evaluating the poster session at the National Seminar on “Current Perspectives on Drug Safety and Pharmacovigilance” which was scheduled on Saturday, 30th January, 2016 at SVKM’’s Dr. Bhanuben Nanavati College of Pharmacy.
- Judge for Intra Moot Court Competition at Jitendra Chauhan College of Law on 17th October, 2014.
- Bharati Vidyapeeth University New Law College, Pune was invited as a Judge at B. Krishna Memorial National Intellectual Property Rights Moot Court Competition 29-31, August 2008. “A New Paradigm to Creative Genius”.
- Questel award for “IP Excellence in INDIA” in November 28th 2016.
- Honored with an award for Women achievers on International Women’s Day on 8th March 2017 from Dena Bank
Co-Curricular and extra-Curricular:
- NMIMS & Unilever celebrated the World IP day (WIPD) the students of KPSOL performed a play to the audiences at Hindustan Unilever Limited’s campus on Wednesday, 26th April, 2017
- Organizing National Moot court competition 2007 - 2012
- Annual Day – 2015
- Sports Day – 2015
Summits, Conferences and Seminars Attended:
- International Colloquium on “Media in Conflict Situation”. January 24-25, 1996 Parliament Annexe New Delhi, India.
- International Conversazione on “Democracy and Terrorism” July 24-25, 1996 Parliament Annexe New Delhi, India.
- International Conference on “NAM in 21st Century” March 1-2, 1997 Parliament Annexe New Delhi, India.
- International Conference on “Drug Trafficking Terrorism and Human Rights”. November 20-21, 1997 Parliament Annexe, New Delhi, India.
- International Conference on “Human Rights Challenges in 21st Century” March 5-6 1998 Parliament Annexe New Delhi, India.
- BCCI Workshop held at Hotel Leela in August, 2003 on “The Patent Act 1970 – The Next Steps”. A Dialogue between the Government and the Key stakeholders- "The Way Ahead"
- Workshop on “Claim Analysis – Claim Interpretation in EU and US” was held for the students of IIPS on January 25, 2004. The speakers were Dr. Enno Dekker, Patent Head, Unilever, and Ms. Maika M., Unilever.
- CII- JIII Seminar on intellectual property 25th November 2005 Hotel Intercontinental the Grand, Mumbai.
- Workshop on Intellectual Property Rights (patents) at hotel sea princess, Mumbai 28 August-1 September 2006.
- EU-India Training on IP Management Practices18 November 2006: Hotel: Hyatt Regency: Mumbai.
- Intellectual Property Seminar10th December 2007, Green Park , Residency Hall, Hyderabad Japanese Patent Office and Japan Institute of Invention and Innovation along with the office of Controller General of Patents, India, is hosted a seminar on Intellectual Property Information and Maintenance with special emphasis on Japanese Patent system.
- Mr. Deepak Shetty, Indian Revenue Service- Commissioner, Customs, Central Excise & Service Tax & Ex-officio Jt. Sec., Government of India spoke on Enforcement and Compliance of Cyberspace Law on 12th June 2008.
- Dr. Dev Gangjee, Professor, London School of Economics and an internationally acclaimed IPR expert, enlightened the audience on ‘Geographical Indications- Lessons from History ‘on 28th December 2008.
- Seminar on October 16, 2008 on Trademark & Brand Management for Indian SMEs speaker was Dr. Guriqbal Singh Jaiya, Director SME Division, World Intellectual Property Organisation, Geneva.
- IP Symposium Prof. Ruth Soetendorp, Director (Joint), Centre for Intellectual Property Policy & Management at the University of Bournemouth, UK & also an international specialist in IP teaching & learning methods elucidated the audience about ‘Designing, IP teaching and training programs for Universities’ was conducted on January 10, 2009.
- Mr. Rajiv Patel Partner, Intellectual Property Group, Fenwick & West LLP, talked on ‘International Patenting Strategies’ on 21st February 2009.
- March 18, 2009, IP Colloquium IIPS, as part of their IP awareness campaign conducted an IP Colloquium on ‘Broadening IP Horizons in Pharma, Software and Entertainment Industries’ on the 18th of March, 2009, Mumbai in association with Boult Wade Tennant a leading UK-based firm of Chartered Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys, Europe and Legasis Partners, an Indian legal process outsourcing company.
- Mr. T.N. Daruwala, Managing Partner- Jehangir Gulabbhai & Bilimoria Daruwala enlightened the audience on ‘Role and protection of unconventional trademarks in the marketplace’ on 31st August 2009.
- Guest lectures on ‘Strategic Importance & Role of Communications in Protection of IP & patent Acquisition’ by Mr. Joe Root on October 3 & 4, 2009.
- On December 5, 2009 seminar on Commercial Exploitation and Management of IP was organized at IIPS, wherein Mr. Nilesh Ganjwala, CEO Innergize Solutions spoke on ‘Valuation of IP and its consideration with special context to mergers and acquisitions’. Mr. Manoj Menda, a noted Senior IP Attorney talked on ‘Due Diligence, Assignment and Licensing of IPs’, while Mr. Vijay Motadak from Cyber Crime Cell & Mr. Chaitanya Belsaretalked extensively on ‘Cyber Crime Management & latest amendments’.
- On January 15, 2010 Intellectual Property Biotechnology Conclave on the challenging issues of intellectual property in the colourful fascinating world of Biotechnology at Mayfair Banquets, Mumbai; in association with Saul Ewing & Mogambo Solutions, well known law firms from the US providing expert legal advice on intellectual property related issues in biotechnology.
- Mr. Rajiv Patel Partner, Intellectual Property Group, Fenwick & West LLP, talked on ‘Patent Strategy & Software protection in US & EU’ 30th January 2010.
- Conference on Intellectual Property Rights 2011 organized by CCH India (a Wolters Kluwer business) along with IIPS as knowledge partner on 15th & 16th December 2011 at Mumbai.
- Workshop on ‘IP Awareness Program for Media’, organized by IIPS & NASSCOM - 16TH July 2011.
- A lecture session on "Patents & Intellectual Property Insurance" and “Due diligence, IP Audit, Commercial Valuation of Patents” on APRIL 21st, Saturday 2012. The speakers were Mr. Arup Mazumdar, CEO, Tata Motor Insurance, Mr. Mohit Agarwal- Marsh India Insurance Brokers Pvt Ltd and Dr. Kausalya Santhanam - Founder of SciVista IP & Communication, Patent Agent USPTO, and Indian Patent Office.
- Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI) in association with World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) and National Bar Association of India (NBAI) had organized a conference on “Managing Innovations and Successful Commercialization of Intellectual Property Assets” on 24-25th July 2012 at Mumbai.
- The IP Clinic 2012 was organized by MHRD IPR Chair and IPR Cell, IIT Bombay was held on June 1st 2012 at Shailesh J. Mehta School of Management, IIT Bombay.
- Thomson Reuters, Thomson Innovation user group meeting (TIUG) 2012 on Friday, June 8, 2012, Mumbai to learn about the pivotal role intellectual property information plays in the innovation process and how to leverage proven strategies for greater efficiency.
- Legal Era IPR Conclave 2012 on 2nd & 3rd August '2012, Taj Lands End, Mumbai. The theme: " Emerging Trends in IPR: India's position in the world in a comparative outlook with US, UK and EU".
- Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India (ASSOCHAM) organized a seminar on “I.P.R. in PHARMA– Catalyst for Growth” on Tuesday, 6th August, 2013 – Mumbai was invite as esteemed speaker at the seminar and also to chair the Technical Session.
- CII invited for 6th International Conference on Anti-Counterfeiting & Anti-piracy Fighting 21st Century Crime-Through worldwide mobilization on 6-7 September 2012, Mumbai
- Pharma Legal & Compliance Summit 2012 on 5th October 2012, Mumbai.
- Legal Era as Supporting Partner for their upcoming forum - The Legal Era General Counsel Forum 2013, on 14th June at Taj Lands End Hotel, Mumbai.
- 25 Anniversary Shri. C. B. Patel Research Centre EVOLVING TRENDS IN CLINICAL RESEARCH on 20 February, 2016.
- Attended the “Strategic Brand Management Workshop on March 2, 2016 in Mumbai. IIPS was knowledge partner at the conference with International Trademark Association (INTA).
- Attended WIPS Global Open IP Seminar on 4th October 2016 at Hyatt, Mumbai.
- At NMIMS attended the Law and Policy of Taxation with Reference to GST, 4-5 November, 2016
- At NMIMS attended the Faculty Development Programme On “Effective Pedagogical Tools in Legal Education” 11 -17th February, 2017.
- NMIMS & INTA, Building Aspirational Brands—Insights for Competitive Advantage in Today’s Global Marketplace”. March 15 2017
- NMIMS &Unilever celebrated the World IP day (WIPD) the students of KPSOL performed a play to the audiences at Hindustan Unilever Limited’s campus on Wednesday, 26th April, 2017
- FICPI International and FICPI India round table conference, November 23, 2017
- 48th Session of the United Nations Sub-Commission on Prevention of Discrimination and Protection of Minorities. 1996. Geneva, Switzerland.
- 53rd Session of the United Nations Commission on Human Rights 1997. Geneva, Switzerland.
- 49th Session of the United Nations Sub-Commission on the Prevention of Discrimination and Protection of Minorities, August. Geneva, Switzerland.
- 54th Session of the United Nations Commission on Human Rights, 1998. Geneva, Switzerland.
- 50th Session of the United Nations Sub-Commission on the Prevention of Discrimination and Protection of Minorities, 1998. Geneva, Switzerland.
- 55th Session of the United Nations Commission on Human Rights, 1999. Geneva, Switzerland.
- 51st Session of the United Nations Sub-Commission on the Promotion and Protection of Human Rights 1999. Geneva, Switzerland.
- Hague Appeal for Peace May 11th –15th 1999. Hague, Netherlands.
- United Nations New York U.S.A on June 2 –7 1999. New York, U.S.A.
- At University of Mumbai, International Conference on “Intellectual Property Rights: Emerging Trends - Global Perspectives” on Friday, 10th February 2017 invited as speaker on “Making a Mark and the magnitude of Trademarks”
- Presented and published article on “Intellectual Property in Fashion”, 2016.
- “Comparative advertising and trademarks in India” on November 2013, at Shri Jagdishprasad Jhabarmal Tibrewala University.
- KLUNIVERSITY, Vijayawada in Andhra Pradesh for an interactive session with the faculties and university students which was held from 30th September to 1st October 2015. Two sessions were conducted for the MBA and Engineering students at the university was invited as speaker on Innovation, Incubation & Entrepreneurship Centre for a Conference Start-Up Rendezvous'15 fest.
- Pravin Gandhi College of Law invited for a session for the First year B.L.S/L.L.B students on 21st July 2014 'Intellectual Property Rights'
- Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India (ASSOCHAM) organized a seminar on Tuesday, 6th August, 2013 – Mumbai. Invite as esteemed speaker at the seminar and also to chair the Technical Session. “I.P.R. in PHARMA– Catalyst for Growth”
- SVKM’s Dr. Bhanuben Nanavati College of Pharmacy on introduction to 'Intellectual Property Rights' to Final Year B. Pharm and M. Pharm students on 1st August July 2013.
- SVKM’s Dr. Bhanuben Nanavati College of Pharmacy on introduction to 'Intellectual Property Rights' to Final Year B. Pharm and M. Pharm students on 2nd February 2013.
- Thakur College of Engineering & Technology organized an International Conference & Workshop - Emerging Trends in Technology 2012 on “Introduction to Intellectual Property Rights & Patent”.
- Bharitya Vidya Bhavans College Munshi Nagar Andheri (West) conducted lecture on 'Intellectual Property Rights' for Microbiology Dept students B.Sc, M.Sc and PH.D Research of the college and university.
- “Consumer Perception towards Global products: The magnitude of Trademark in the Global market place and the creation of Brands” at Atharva Institute of Management Studies a peer reviewed Biannual Journal of Management Research in Vol. 8. No. 2 November 2016. ISSN 2231 – 4350
- “The History of Advertising”, CENTUM Multi-Disciplinary Bi-Annual Research Journal in Vol-9 Issue: 2 2016. ISSN-2231-1475
- “Intellectual Property in Fashion”. CENTUM Multi-Disciplinary Bi-Annual Research Journal in Vol-9 Issue: 2 2016. ISSN-2231-1475.
- “History of the evolution of trademark in India” National Research Conference on “Emerging patterns of innovation in businesses: challenges and strategies 19th July, 2014
- “Comparative advertising and trademarks in India”, CENTUM Multi-Disciplinary Bi-Annual Research Journal on November 2013
- ‘Dilution a new form of infringement under trademark’ for Manshodhan III – 2013.
- ‘Product disparagement on Trademark in India’ for Manshodhan III – 2012.
- ‘General Post Office’ in The Bombay Explorer, July 1995.
- ‘Report of Bombay Local History Society’ and the British Council in The Bombay Explorer, December 1995.
Memberships (Academic and Professional only):
- Legal Member of the CBP Independent Ethics Committee (IEC). 2013 till date
Workshops and Professional Training Programs Attended:
- Engineering Colloquium for Multicon workshop – 2015, on 27th February 2015 at Thakur College of Engineering & Technology, Kandivali, Mumbai.
- NMIMS - Effective Pedagogical Tools in Legal Education on 11-17 February, 2017
- NMIMS - Law and Policy of Taxation with Reference to GST on 4-5 November, 2016
Service to the Institution and Administrative Responsibilities:
- Guided and helped students in their presentation of Research Papers, Debates and Moot Court Competition where students have received awards.
- Organizing National Moot court competition
- Mentoring and guiding the students.
- Knowledge Partners at various International and National conferences.