Mr. Rakesh Nambiar
Assistant Professor (English)
Phone – 022 42355764
E-mail Id: Rakesh.Nambiar@nmims.edu
Academic and Professional Qualifications:
- Pursuing Ph.D. from University of Mumbai
- N.E.T. (English), UGC in 2013.
- P.E.T. (English), University of Mumbai in 2012.
- M.A. (Hons. Research) in English, University of Mumbai in 2011.
- B.A. English, Wilson College, Mumbai in 2009.
Ph. D. Topic:
Negotiating Urban Space and Re-interpreting Modernity in select novels in English
Areas of Research Interest:
Legal English, Law and Literature, Business Communication for Law, Spatial conflict and Cultural Studies, Indian Literature in English, and Mass Communication
Work Experience (Academic):
- More than two years of teaching as an Assistant Professor to undergraduate and post graduate students of Law in Kirit P Mehta School of Law, NMIMS
- Two years as an Assistant Professor to undergraduate and post graduate students in Viva College, Mumbai
- Two years as an Assistant Professor to undergraduate students in Sathaye College, Mumbai
- Lectured in University of Mumbai for IDOL students at post graduate level in American literature and World War poetry for two years - 2014 & 2015
- General English (Law)
- Legal English
- Critical Thinking
- Journalism and Mass Communication
- Business Communication for Law to MBA Law students (PG)
- Legal Writing
- Communication Skills
- Business Communications
Teaching Pedagogy and Innovation:
- Workshop and Case Study style pedagogy for General English, Legal English courses and Business Communication (for MBA Law).
- Innovative project assignments that stimulate the competitive legal atmosphere of law students.
- Innovative curriculum for General English and Legal English courses.
- Introduced buddy partnership project to enhance the learning of professional skills of law students.
Total Teaching Experience: 6 years
Fellowships, Achievements, Awards and Honors:
- Certificate of Merit for securing the highest marks in T.Y.B.A. English literature, Wilson College, 2009
- Prof. Robert Miller Prize for securing the highest marks in T.Y.B.A. English literature, Wilson College, 2009
Co-Curricular and extra-Curricular:
- Nominated as Member of Students Council from Department of English, University of Mumbai in the year 2010 – 2011.
- Held position as Sports Secretary, Students Council, University of Mumbai in the year 2010-2011
Summits, Conferences and Seminars Attended:
- Thematic implications and metaphorical expressions of marginality in Namdeo Dhasal’s ‘Poet of the Underworld, (18th Jan, 2013) UGC sponsored Multidisciplinary National Seminar at Ramniranjan Jhunjhunwala college, Ghatkoper
- Contextualising exotic tourism of Bombay / Mumbai through Hindi cinema and Indian novels in English; presented in UGC sponsored National Seminar in Kirti College, Dadar. 12th Jan 2015
- #Humour as a #communicative language @socialnetworkingsites UGC sponsored Two-Day National Seminar in Patkar-Varde College, Goregaon. (6th & 7th February 2015)
Chapters in Edited Volumes:
- “Personal and Political fantasia in the poetry of Kamala Das and Imtiaz Dharker” in Female Fantasia in Indian English Poetry. (Ed.) Rathi, Beena, Pooja Upadhyay et. al. Vital Publications, 2015 (ISBN 978-93-81169-48-3)
- “#Humour as a #communicative language @socialnetworkingsites” in Humour Texts and Contexts. (ISBN – 978-93-83871-55-1). New Man Publications. 2015 (ISBN – 978-93-83871-55-1)
- Thematic implications and metaphorical expressions of marginality in Namdeo Dhasal’s ‘Poet of the Underworld; Aavartan (ISSN 2320- 3544), bilingual quarterly journal. Spring 2013
- Re-Negotiating Orientalism through the Prism of Edward Said vs. Aijaz Ahmed debate on Marx, Europe And India (East); in Aavartan (ISSN 2320- 3544), bilingual quarterly journal. Winter 2013
- “Is research and development just a mirage in India? Or is there hope to soar”. India a fallen Angel or Poised to Soar. Sheth Publishers. 2012 (ISBN 978-93-82429-98-2).
Workshops and Professional Training Programs Attended:
- “Film Movement & The Language Of Films” on 9th September, 2008, Department of English, K. C. College, Mumbai
- “Bharat Or India: The Changing Face Of Nationalism In Contemporary Indian Cinema” on 16th January, 2009, Sophia College
- “Rewiring the Brain to Live Life Intelligently; A liberating Adventure with Carl Jung and the Literary Classics” on 23rd October, 2010, Department of English, University of Mumbai
- “Negotiating Social Change and Human Rights Awareness through Theatre and the Politics of Art” on 11th -12th of January, 2011, Department of English, University of Mumbai
- Research Avenues and Challenges in Higher Education on 18th November, 2011, University of Mumbai
- “One Day Research Methodology Seminar” on 11th January, 2014, Department of English, University of Mumbai
- “Self Learning Material in the Subject of Languages” on 28th February, 2014, Institute of Distance and Open Learning, University of Mumbai
- Participated in Spark: The Power to Ignite, as on 11th December 2014 in R.D. National College, Bandra
- One-Day National Level Hands on Workshop- Linguistics and the Language of Law conducted by Pravin Gandhi College of Law on 8th December 2015
- Two-Day Training Certification Workshop for Words Worth English Language Lab Training Program conducted on 1st & 2nd of March 2017
- Workshop on “CAS, API & Higher Education Policy’s” on 24th June 2017 in Mumbai University
Faculty Development Program:
- Attended National level Workshop by SVKM's Pravin Gandhi College of Law held between 14th - 17th March 2016
- Attended National level Faculty Development Programme on Goods and Services Tax. NMIMS University held between 4th & 5th of Nov 2016
- Attended National level Faculty Development Programme on Effective Pedagogical Tools in Legal Education. NMIMS University held between 11th Feb to 17th Feb 2017
Cambridge English Language Assessment (CELA):
- Attended a workshop on “Investigating professional practice, Exploring teachers ‘metaphors’ and Learning styles – Multiple intelligences” on July, 2014 by Cambridge English Language Assessment at Pune
- Attended a “Teacher Training Programme” on BEC Preliminary examination on 24th Jan 2015 from Cambridge University Press at C.H.M. College, Ulhasnagar
- Underwent a Coordination Programme as a Speaking Examiner for General Key English Test (KET) conducted by Cambridge University Press on 28th February 2015
- Examined students as a Speaking Examiner for General Key English Test (KET) conducted by Cambridge University Press in Bharat Group of Schools and Colleges, Badlapur on 13th April 2015
- Attended a “Teaching Productive Skills” Cambridge English Annual Coordinators’ workshop on July 2015 at Mumbai.
- Underwent a Coordination Programme as a Speaking Examiner for General Key English Test (KET) conducted by Cambridge University Press on 26th January 2016
Service to the Institution and Administrative Responsibilities:
- Area Chairperson of Co-curricular and Extra-curricular Activities (KPMSoL) from 2017
- Faculty Head of Publications and SOLink (KPMSoL newsletter) since 2016
- Member of Discipline Committee (KPMSoL unit) since 2016
- Member of Sexual Harassment Cell (KPMSoL unit) since 2016
Contribution to Public Service:
- Participated in the General Election (Loksabha) 2014 as a Presiding Officer for Palghar (S.T.) Parliamentary Constituency on 24th April 2014
- Participated in the State Election (Vidhan Sabha) 2014 as a Presiding Officer for Palghar (S.T.) Parliamentary Constituency on 15th October 2014